Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mother of the Word Incarnate

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth..." -- John 1:14 (RSV)




Although the months of May and October are dedicated to the Blessed Mother, the liturgical season that brings her most to the forefront, at least for me, is Advent/Christmas. So now, when we're starting another liturgical year, seems like the perfect time to share this beautiful image of Mary reading the Scriptures. (Yes, I know it's anachronistic to show her reading a bound book, but please put that aside for now. :-) )

I found this several months ago on Wikimedia Commons, and I'm glad that I downloaded it when I did, because I haven't been able to find it again since! If I recall correctly, it's an image from a cathedral in Russia.

Aside from the sheer beauty of this image of the Blessed Mother, I love the fact that she, who bore the Word of God Incarnate, is shown contemplating the Word of God. I've heard it said, I think, that Jesus was conceived in Mary's heart long before He was conceived in her womb.  No wonder that both Mary and Jesus are addressed in Scripture as being "full of grace."

Father, by the power of your Spirit, may I study Your Word until I, too, can bring Him forth to the world in the way that You created me to bear Him, according to Your perfect loving will. Amen.


No comments: