Thursday, December 6, 2012

The challenge of fear

"The angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.' " -- Luke 1: 30 (RSV)

 About a month ago, I started reading a book called The Gift of Faith by Father Tadeusz Dajczer. It came highly recommended by a fellow Secular Carmelite, and I've not been disappointed. If you're looking for an inspiring book to read during the Year of Faith, check it out.

Among the many insights from Fr. Dajczer is this from his chapter, "The Virtue of Faith":

"Fear is a trial of faith and that is why God allows it, so that you may grow in faith. Trust and faith are made perfect amidst fears.

"Fear can contribute to illness in many people. Fear lies at the basis of neuroses and psychoses. But it can be an outlet to total abandonment to God. Everything depends on you. Fear is a challenge issued to you. What will you do with it? Will you allow yourself to be enslaved by its weight? Or, instead, will you try to perform acts of abandoning yourself to Him who is infinite power and love." (p. 53)

This is what Mary did when faced with the Archangel Gabriel's visit and message. She did not allow either fear of the angel or fear of the implications of God's call to hold her back. Instead, she abandoned herself totally to God and His will: "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."

Lord, through the prayers of Your Mother, help me to respond to every fear that I experience in my life by abandoning myself to You in trust, faith, and love.

No comments: