Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Mary, Mother of God and our Mother

"May you know always and everywhere the protection of her, through whom you have been found worthy to receive the Author of Life." --from the Solemn Blessing at the end of Mass for the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God


Not too long ago, I heard a priest say that if you meditate on the Blessed Mother holding the Baby Jesus, inevitably you will find her offering to let you hold Him. That was certainly my experience several years ago when I was meditating in prayer on the Madonna and Child.

I don't know what that priest's reaction was, but mine was to panic. "I'll drop Him!" I said to Mary.

I didn't expect what happened next. I sensed Mary in my meditation saying to me, "Don't worry. I'll hold you both." Then as I, in my meditation, took the Baby Jesus into my arms and held Him close, she wrapped her arms around me, with one arm over my shoulders and one arm around Jesus and me together, and drew us both close to herself.

As I've reflected on that image recently, I've thought of how accurately it depicts Mary's role in our lives. She isn't interested in coming between us and Jesus. Just the opposite. She wants to facilitate us drawing close to Jesus, to protect us, and to help us in whatever way we need to come into a more intimate relationship with Him.

Dear Mary, Mother of God and our Mother, please pray for us this year, that with your help and prayers, we may come into the relationship with Jesus that He created us to have with Him. Amen.

No comments: