Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Open our eyes, Lord, that we may see!

"When the servant of the man of God arose and went out, he saw the force with its horses and chariots surrounding the city. 'Alas! he said to Elisha. 'What shall we do, my lord?' Elisha answered, 'Do not be afraid. Our side outnumbers theirs.' Then he prayed, 'O LORD, open his eyes, that he may see.' And the LORD opened the eyes of the servant, and he saw that the mountainside was filled with fiery chariots and horses around Elisha." -- 2 Kings 6:15-17 (NAB)

The great cloud of witnesses that surrounds us is not there merely to encourage us and give us good example. We are surrounded by the powerful servants, the hosts of the armies of GOD!

I find it very helpful to remind myself of two key attributes of God: that He is all-powerful and all-loving. That God is all-powerful is a tenet of many religions. But the fact that God is all-loving -- that He is Love Itself -- that is unique to the Judeo-Christian tradition.

This can be a life-changing reality for us. For the fact that He is all-powerful and all-loving means that He will use that power on my behalf. Too often, though, I forget that He stands ready to exercise that power, if I would only ask. Even those things that appear to be triumphs of evil, He can work for the good of those who love Him (cf. Rom. 8:28). How much more peaceful my life would be if my eyes were open to this truth!

Dear Lord Jesus, please open my eyes to the truth that You are all-powerful and, because of Your unchanging love for me, stand ready to exercise that power on my behalf. May this truth transform my life and the lives of all Your People. Amen.

No comments: